Friday, August 25, 2006

What Do You Call 6 Naked White Men in A Canoe?

I have kind of been in a cocoon for the past couple of days, eating like a pig. In the midst of all this gluttony I came across this picture, or rather it was sent to me on one of my groups. Take a close look at the background. It is very interesting.


Note: The ad is cut off on the left hand side. It should say Buna Bathtub. The rest of the ad is truncated on the left hand margin also.


The thing that has made this interesting is not just the colored folk in the back and the white men washing in the canoe, it is my review of old material from graduate school now that I am back in New Jersey and have box after box of books to scrounge through. I have been separated from my babies for sometime now.

Right now I am reading "Structure, Sign, and Play in the Discourse of the Human Sciences" (1966) by Jacques Derrida. It is very insightful seeing that the first time I read the article was in undergraduate at Hampton my senior year. Little did I know that I was suppose to master the damn thing 8 months later when I went to NYU. Now, I see things much more clearly. I am convinced that the white folk needed deconstruction more than I did to understand this ad. I am sure that my grandfather opened up a magazine at Fort Campbell in 1944 and was hip to its "meaning".

Uhmph.

3 comments:

Parlancheq said...

Hmm, seems this was from before the don't ask, don't tell policy was implemented. Apparently army folks really knew how to have a good time back then.

Littlemilk said...

Yeah. I think you are right. It is very telling about things becoming political because we "choose" for them to become political for whatever reason.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing and and yes, it's true about Derrida.

I'm teaching a class about representations of the so-called primitive this semester, it is *very* entertaining, deconstructing Tarzan and so on.